Posts

Showing posts from January, 2016

St Angelo's Fort, Kannur, Kerala

Image
St. Angelo's Fort was built in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India on the Arabian sea coast about 2 km from Kannur town. It was attacked in vain by the local Indian ruler Zamorin and kolathiri in thethe Siege of Cannanore (1507) TheDutchcaptured the fort from the Portuguese in 1663. They modernised the fort and built the bastions Hollandia, Zeelandia and Friesland that are the major features of the present structure. The original Portuguese fort was pulled down later. A painting of this fort and the fishing ferry behind it can be seen in theRijksmuseum Amsterdam. The Dutch sold the fort to kingAli RajaofArakkalin 1772. In 1790 the British seized it and used it as their chief military station in Malabar until 1947.In August 1509 Almeida, refusing to recognizeAfonso de Albuquerque's as the new Portuguese governor to supersede himself, arrested him in this fortress after having fought the navalBattle of Diu. Afonso de Albuquerque was released af…